Orienteering will be a major feature at the Stromlo Running Festival this year. The race will be a middle distance multi-loop format on a forest sprint map. There will be prize money on offer and a novice race will be run right after the elites hit it out at Stromlo Forest Park. The race will be set up for spectator viewing and promises to be the most exciting race of the year. Spend the weekend in Canberra and race and train with Australia’s top orienteers, the Head Coach will be planning training and there is talk of a night race on Friday night at Bluetts West. Keep reading for more info…
The inaugural STROMLO Running Festival combines on-site camping and catering into a weekend ‘Festival’ that is not to be missed. The range of running events will provide something for everyone, from the complete beginner to Australia’s elite athletes. So come and join Robert de Castella and be part of something amazing.
The STROMLO Running Festival will provide a friendly, social, exciting, and interactive weekend focussed on running, participation and healthy lifestyles. The combination of multiple running events focussed on participation, on-site catering, camping and caravan accommodation, as well as entertainment, lectures and training sessions, will make the STROMLO Running Festival a unique and nationally recognised event; where experienced and elite athletes will socialise and motivate those individuals who are new to running.
The event slogan – “Get Off The Road” – is highly appropriate given the running events comprising the STROMLO Running Festival will be held on the purpose built Stromlo Cross Country Course, as well as the beautiful fire trials and single tracks within Canberra’s nature parks surrounding the Stromlo area.
The STROMLO Running Festival will offer a variety of community and competitive events including:
- Robert de Castella Cross Country Invitational
- Lightning Strike Trail Runs (10km and 30km)
- Cross Country Races (4km and 8km)
- Orienteering Events
- Criterium Track Road Race (1.2km)
- Mountain Race (3.2km)
- Social runs led by Celebrities and Elite athletes
- Government/Business challenge
- Primary School and High School Challenge
The event will also incorporate other activities including:
- Official Opening and Dinner
- Festival Expo
- Running Clinic hosted by elite athletes and coaches
- Bands and Children’s Entertainment
- Guest Lectures on Maximising 6-Foot Track Marathon Performance, Injury Prevention, Training, Footwear and Nutrition
- Practical Training Sessions on Core Stability, Running Drills/Plyometrics
- The field will be limited to 2,500 participants and spots are sure to fill quickly – so don’t delay, enter now via our secure online site at www.stromlorunningfestival.com.au
- The first 500 entrants will receive a special bundle offer of 2XU STROMLO t-shirt (value $60) and 2XU Compression Socks (value $50) for just $35 – Save over 65%!
Entries close 20th of February 2009 (unless sold out).
No entries will be taken over the weekend of the event.
Running in Canberra:
Since the establishment of the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra, the nation’s capital has developed a strong history of distance running and is now considered one of Australia’s most ideal running locations.
Stromlo Forest was where ‘Deek’ and many other Australian and International running greats did much of their training through the 1980’s and 1990’s. In 2003, the entire forest was destroyed in the bushfires that also claimed the lives of four Canberrans. Deek was one of the 500 families who lost everything in those fires and was a key member on the ACT Government’s Bushfire Recovery Taskforce. Stromlo Forest Park was one of his ideas; to not just replace what had been lost, but to make it better and to leave a legacy for future generations. Stromlo Forest Park has already become Australia’s best, and most sought after, dedicated off-road running and cycling venues.