Orienteering Australia is seeking expressions of interest to produce online information and training guides for street and park, bush, sprint and mountain bike orienteering. These projects are being funded by the ASC grant to increase participation in orienteering.
These guides will build on beginner training information already found on the OA, state and club websites, and be a complementary package to videos being produced during 2011 on how to do street and park, bush, sprint and mountain bike orienteering. The training guides will be targeted at:
- Beginners (walkers, runners and mountain bikers) to give them advance knowledge before their first event and some rudimentary skills to allow their first few events to be positive experiences
- Building up skills as further engagement occurs
- Teachers keen to start an orienteering program in their schools with a resource
- Level 1 coaches to provide a resource to share with beginners they are coaching
- Scout and guide leaders to show their troops what orienteering is about before they bring the troops to participate in club orienteering events
The guides should include
- Overview of orienteering and formats of orienteering events
- Overview of the orienteering map (various formats)
- Basic orienteering skills necessary for the above groups for the various formats
- The guides will be written in plain English and packaged attractively with photos, sample maps and illustrations as appropriate.
Each manual will be in PDF format for ease of download and printing. Copyright will allow download and use by individuals, schools or clubs but not for reproduction for sale. An Orienteering Australia reference group will assist authors by reviewing drafts. The target for completion of the project is December 2011.
Expressions of interest should include information on the coaching background of the applicant, writing experience, and which discipline(s) the applicant will be documenting. Applicants should provide quotes firstly to complete a draft and secondly to finalise after feedback from the reference group.
Expressions of interest should be forwarded to John Harding, Executive Officer, Orienteering Australia (ph 0427 107 033) email firstname.lastname@example.org by 19 April 2011.